Saturday, June 21, 2008

So there’s…

…a first time for everything I guess. These last few days I have experienced my first visit to a clinic here in Bolivia (Praise God it took six months!) and my first bacterial infection here in Bolivia (Nice).

My wonderful family here took me to a clinic near my house called ProSalud. Interestingly enough this clinic is funded and supported by USAID – which is a US government agency that provides economic and humanitarian aid worldwide. One thing the agency does is work to strengthen health systems in developing countries. So I have Uncle Sam to thank for my cheap prices here.

Here is the breakdown: (This is walking in the door without any insurance)
Consultation with doctor - $5.71
Initial meds prescribed to settle my stomach - $8.42
Lab tests to see what the deal was - $14.28
One week of antibiotics to cure bacterial infection - $21
Realizing that the meds they gave me (Cipro) were the same exact meds that I brought with me from the states and had at home already…Priceless.

Lesson learned I guess. I already had the meds that I needed all along. (Thanks Melissa for the 100 tablets of Cipro that you gave me before I left.) I actually needed to use them and I went and bought more.

So there you have it. I am taking antibiotics for the next week to cure my bacterial infection. I am avoiding dairy products, soft drinks and greasy/fried foods. But at least it is not a viral infection. I think that is worse. Not sure.

No comments: