Sunday, June 29, 2008

Happy Anniversary to Me


Six months ago TO THE DAY I left everything that I knew behind.
I got on a plane in Atlanta with a whole new life in front of me.
It was a totally clean slate.
I was still the same Curt but everything around me was thrown upside down.

I left my family.
I left my friends.
I left my home.
I left earning a paycheck.
I left being comfortable.
I left predictability.
I left speaking English all the time.
I left my favorite restaurants.
I have missed birthdays.
I have missed a wedding.
I have missed little things that you don’t miss unless you go.

And what have I found in six months?
I have found a new language.
I have found friends and family in another culture.
I have found a deeper relationship with my maker.
I have found a greater appreciation for my country.
I have found joy and peace like never before.
I have found out how to be less ashamed of Christ.
I have found true worship.
I have found unexpected ways to talk to people back home about God.
I have found struggles like never before.
I have found victory over those struggles like never before.
And I have found why I was created in the first place.

I just want to wish myself a happy 6th month anniversary here in Bolivia. I was thinking the other day about what I might share with people when I visit home at the end of the year. And I started a list of the things that I have seen God do here in six months and the things that He has allowed me to be a part of in six months.

And I just became overwhelmed.

These six months have simply been the start to the greatest adventure that I have ever had in my life. And as I have said on many occasions. I know that I am exactly where God wants me to be doing exactly what He wants me to do.

And you can’t put a price on those feelings.

So in honor of being here six months I just wanted to share a few of the things that God has allowed me to be a part of so far…

• Completely renovating the sound equipment at one of the churches here so that we can enter into worship that much easier.
• Helping to raise funds for a dental office that provides free dental care to poor kids who couldn’t think about affording the care.
• Helping to raise funds for a mission outreach in Southern Bolivia so that the kids there who live in tents and tarps can have educational materials and have tables and chairs.
• Helping a ministry who ministers to youth with addictions create new promotional materials.
• Helping a ministry that trains teachers to evangelize kids create new promotional materials and a new website.
• Helping a ministry called RockSalt ministries relaunch their brand and their ministry through a new website.
• Buying ice cream for a little girl and telling her that Jesus loves her.
• Experiencing a revival of the Spirit in my heart and life like never before.
• Directing a national marketing campaign for a 24 hour worship, prayer and fasting event called El Día.
• Raising funds for a ministry to build a hand rail on the stairs in their building. Just so less kids will fall.
• Getting to travel around to various cities and places in Bolivia to get to know this country more.
• Getting to share testimony with folks back home and impact them more than I ever would if I still lived there.

So don’t ever let me say that I don’t see God at work. Because I see Him all around me, everyday. There is so much that God is doing right now. The list above is just a sample.

Heres to the next six months.

Salud

No comments: