Monday, July 07, 2008

Get set…Go

I am here safe and sound in Cochabamba. My missionary friends Larry and Betty are letting me stay in their guest room. It is great. Already I have eaten Sloppy Joes and Pancakes. Ah yeah. I kinda feel like I am their son and that I am visiting from college or something. They are great and I praise God for them.

There are seven people from my home church here for about the next ten days serving in various capacities. One guy is an ex-paramedic and he is giving classes at a hospital. There is a group planning a vacation bible school for some kids and another group is working with a local construction project.

My job for today and tomorrow is to help the team at the construction site. We are helping a local church construct another room onto their building. The church is outside of Cochabamba in a very poor area. Not very strong electricity and no running water. I am helping them with translation and I am picking up a shovel myself to do some manual labor.

I am ditching my marketing hat for these two days to get dirty, dig, mix concrete and help this church construct a Sunday school room for the kids. I am sore right now but it is nice to mix it up a little and do some “real” work.

Here are a few photos from the day…

Dan is helping put a form in place to pour concrete for a column...


Steve digging a ditch in between columns...


I promise I used this shovel after the photo...


See...I told you I used the shovel...


You always find kids wherever you go...


Mixin the concrete...


Thanks Father. For giving me yet another way to serve You.

2 comments:

Joanie said...

hmm...you look pretty good holding a shovel. :-) hope your knee is better!!!

Joanie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.