Friday, March 28, 2008

He’s not a machine, He’s a man

At the Home of Martha and Mary

As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”

“Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.” John 10:38-42


In my weekly meeting with my pastor here a few days ago this story hit me square upside the head. The timing of it was nothing short of a God thing. You see, for the first three months of my life here in La Paz I have been Martha in the story above. I have been someone distracted by the work that is in front of me. I have been someone who has been worried, upset and anxious about many things. I have been someone who at times has valued serving God way more than just sitting at His feet and listening to Him.

I don’t really think that Jesus’ point in the story above is that serving Him is wrong. If fact, it is great. It is just an issue of balance. But I think what Martha missed and what I miss sometimes is that when you have opportunities to connect directly with Christ and listen to Him directly you have to take those opportunities and not miss them. My pastor Ron told me that my life should be like a pendulum. I should swing back and forth between spending time alone with God and serving God. Back and forth. From one to the other. It is a matter of perspective as well. He also asked me if I used my cell phone so that I would have to charge it or do I charge it so that I can use it. Wow.

Do I serve God so that I will have to spend time with Him for renewal or do I spend time with Him so that I am charged and ready to serve Him? I truly believe that authentic service of Christ can only stem from an intimate connected relationship with Him. I could hide behind service to Christ and people might think that I am a “great Christian”. But I am nothing if I am separated from the vine.

I have spent some amazing time with God lately and God actually helped me realize this before I read the story above on Wednesday. The story above from John was just confirmation in me that most of my time here in La Paz has been out of balance. And confirmation that if I continue down the path I am on, the result is going to be burnout and distance from God.

I have even written it here in my blog. Go back to my Call of Duty post and you can see it plainly. I mention a pretty intense list of projects and then I say that I am looking for more. More to do. More service. As much service as I can get. I didn't write about looking to just sit at Jesus’ feet and listen to Him more, I wrote about looking for more service.

Well during another visit to a project yesterday I felt God nudge me during our meeting and speak to me and say… “Curt, you have enough to think about already. Look at the projects that I have given you already. Just focus on what is in front of you and don’t look for more. You are right where I want you. I know that you want to spend time with kids but if you look closely I have placed kids in your life already if you will just take the time to get to know them. I gave you your Marketing skills and just look how much need there is in front of you for those skills. There is ministry after ministry who needs help in Marketing and I brought you here so that you could use your skills to help them. Curt, I need you in the strategic Marketing area right now. It is a huge need here in La Paz. That is where I have placed you and that is where you can do the most for My Kingdom right now. There will always be at-risk kids to visit here. Slow down and don’t rush. You are not a machine, you are a man. Put down the to-do list sometimes and just enjoy being human. Do you see the snow-capped mountains all around you? When was the last time you stopped and admired my creation? Curt, My love for you is not based on your productivity. I made that clear when I modeled the Sabbath for you. Us spending time together is more important to me than you checking a project off of a list.”

My ears were open to hearing these words from God only because recently I have made spending time at His feet and listening to Him more of a priority. My life has been more of a balance between Mary and Martha. I have WANTED to hear from Him. And when we actually want to hear from God it is amazing what He tells us sometimes.

So for right now I am going to follow His advice. Right now the only thing that I am actively looking for more of is time alone with God. I am not going to worry about finding MORE ministries and projects. My focus is going to be on the projects and ministries that God has placed right in front of me. They need my attention right now.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Great thoughts.