Saturday, August 02, 2008

Let me get that...

Some things just stick with you. Some issues that you struggle with follow you. Some tendencies that you have are hard to drop. No matter where you go.

Going to a new location doesn’t automatically translate into a new YOU.

I am seeing that in my life right now with regards to my work.

Recently I have felt like I am drowning in projects. But I thank God that I finally got to a breaking point and told Pablo that I needed to drop some things. It took longer than it should have. And I really need to admit sooner when I feel like I have too much going on.

I listed all of the projects that I am working on and he helped me prioritize a few, drop a few and delegate a few. There’s that word again…delegate. I have heard that word before. Which brings me to the tendency that I find hard to drop.

Not Delegating.

I have had a problem delegating projects all my work life. In Atlanta working for seven years working as a marketing professional I had the problem. In La Paz right now working as a missionary I have the same problem.

I have a tendency to want to take the entire load onto my shoulders. I want to do it all. The good side of this tendency is that I have a drive to work and help as many people as possible. The bad side of this tendency is that I get overwhelmed and I don’t give others a chance to help.

In my specific case as a missionary in another culture I dare say that it is MORE important now that I delegate because I give Bolivian nationals the opportunity to serve their own peeps instead of me coming into town guns blazin’ like John Wayne as the American with all the answers.

They tell you as a missionary that a good goal to have is to “work yourself OUT of a job.” Help the nationals “not need you.”

Right now…all I seem to be doing is “working myself INTO as many jobs as possible.” I guess I have to work myself in before I can work myself out.

No comments: