Monday, August 18, 2008

Casa de Esperanza

A truly amazing trip this past weekend.

A trip that really took me out of my comfort zone. You might say Curt…isn’t living in a third world country out of your comfort zone enough? But sadly enough my answer to you is…no. La Paz is still a pretty big city and it takes me really getting out of the city these days to get freaked out. I am fairly comfortable roaming around the city right now.

My trip to Caranavi this weekend was definitely out of my comfort zone. A five hour bus ride outside of La Paz. The final two hours of the trip were pretty exciting because we were traveling on a one lane dirt road on the side of cliffs with cars coming both ways…yeah..like when two trucks/buses meet…one has to back up until there is space to go around. What an adventure.

Caranavi is in the jungle of Bolivia, an area known as “Los Yungas.” It was hot, humid and there were wild animals/bugs/ants. The jungle basically.

The orphanage that we visited is called “Casa de Esperanza.” It is located in the jungle above Caranavi. A very beautiful and picturesque place. My girlfriend Paola lived and worked here for about a year and a half. About 60 orphans live there, ranging from babies to about 12 years old. There are about 20 more youth that live in the town of Caranavi as well. The staff and directors are great with the kids. And the most important goal is for each and every child to grow into a loving relationship with Jesus Christ.

We arrived on Friday evening and had some time to hang with the kids. I can’t get enough time with orphans. I can’t hug them enough. I can’t love them enough. I can’t play with them enough. I can’t talk to them about Jesus enough. In fact, one of the first questions one of the kids asked me was, “What is your testimony?” It doesn’t get any easier than that to share your faith. Something wonderful just happens inside of me when I have opportunities like this. I just thank God that He called me here to Bolivia so that I could have these experiences.

On Saturday we worked with the kids in the morning, had lunch with them and then played games with them and did activities with them in the afternoon and evening. On Sunday we had a worship service with the kids on-site. Pao led the worship and I got to share some insight and stories from the Bible with the kids. This really pushed me out of my comfort zone because they asked me the night before to share some words with the kids. I was a little freaked but what a privilege and opportunity. Here are a few shots of me sharing with the kids…



What I loved the most was that I was forced to put my trust in God. I was forced to rely on Him to speak through me. I think God loves to put us in those positions sometimes. Also, I just praise God for Paola because she was right there by my side telling me that I could do it. Sometimes guys just need to hear someone tell them that they have what it takes. Not only do I love Pao but this weekend I realized that God brought her into my life because I NEED her too. God knows what I lack and He knows what I need. He knew Paola is what I needed. And I love Him more for that.

Overall…a great great great weekend. I uploaded some photos from the trip…check them out HERE.

No comments: