Friday, February 27, 2009

Feb. 29

That's the day my one year visa to Bolivia expires. It should be this Sunday but that day doesn't exist. Funny, huh? I guess when Bolivian immigration gave me my one year visa dates last year they didn't stop to check to see if the expiration date existed or not.

Anyway, it doesn't matter. I will officially be illegal in Bolivia this Sunday.

Paola is currently helping me run around the city and secure all the paperwork I need to renew my missionary visa for two more years. I was hoping to begin my permanent residency process since I am now married to a Bolivian citizen but it turns out that I need two years of residency in the country before I can apply for that.

So renewing my missionary visa is the current option. And it is normally not a difficult process but since my marital status has changed and I am now married I have to update various documents that I would not have to update otherwise.

I am hoping that Paola and I can pull together all the documents by next week but you never know. People don't move too fast here sometimes unless you pay them extra. I think you know what I mean.

But we don't want to do that so the timing is in God's hands right now. I will have to pay a little bit of a fine because I am going to turn in my paperwork AFTER my visa expiration date but other than that I should be legal in the next week or so to stay in the country for two more years.

I will probably begin the permanent residency process after one more year in the country. Paola and I know that we will be here for at least the next two years and then we don't know where God will send us, IF He sends us.

But if He sends us out of Bolivia it will make it much easier to visit Bolivia in the future if I have my permanent residency.

No comments: