Tuesday, August 21, 2007

One on One

Over the past two years I have benefited so much from the time that I have spent with my men’s small group from church. I have been in two separate groups over the past two years and we have met pretty much on a weekly basis.

We go through different studies and/or books and discuss them. Sometimes the material that we read is no where near as strong as the discussion that we have. And sometimes getting off topic is the best thing possible. Having a group of single guys that I can hang with on a weekly basis is a very cool thing. It is just a great bonus that these are all guys who are pursuing the same thing that I am…a deeper relationship with God.

All that to say that I am a big believer in this kind of community. I have been impacted more than I can accurately convey. I have no doubt that God created each and every one of us for this kind of authentic community. I hope that I can find a group to hang with once I get to Bolivia.

But there is another kind of community in my future. Starting this week I will be meeting on a weekly basis with my pastor at Holy Cross Anglican Church in Loganville. He will be meeting with me prior to my move to Bolivia. This will be a one on one kind of community. I am excited about the opportunity to meet with him to discuss foundational things about the Christian faith and also I am excited about the opportunity to pray with him during our meetings.

This discipleship program stems from Jesus’ call for us to go into the world and “make disciples” which basically means that it is not just about making a decision to follow Christ. It is about helping someone continually grow in their relationship with Christ.

This is a 10 session program that I am sure will be full of some amazing revelations. I will keep you posted as to how everything goes.

I am excited to have the opportunity to go through this program prior to my move to Bolivia. And the hope is that I can continue this program once I move to Bolivia.

I am not going to turn down any opportunity to spend time talking about what I see God up to in this world….whether with a small group or just one on one.

No comments: