Monday, April 09, 2007

New Wine Skins

So today I am heading up to Ridgecrest, North Carolina (just outside of Ashville) for a week to attend a missions conference called New Wine Skins. It will be attended by about 1,000 Anglicans from across the country…I think a mix of current missionaries, people who are trying to figure out if they are being called to be missionaries and just people in general who want their home churches to be mission-minded.

I am definitely looking forward to it. The actual conference is Wednesday – Sunday but the cool thing is that staff and current missionaries from my sending agency SAMS will be gathering today and tomorrow for a special retreat prior to the conference. It is also the 30th anniversary of the launch of SAMS-USA so on Wednesday night we will be having an anniversary dinner. This will be my first real opportunity to spend some time with the current long-term SAMS missionaries and I am really looking forward to getting to know them and building relationships with them.

I also have various meetings setup with different folks – some SAMS staff members, Bishop Lyons who is the Bishop over the diocese of Holy Cross Anglican Church in Loganville, and Kim and Mike Miller who are long-term SAMS missionaries living in Honduras.

The meeting with Kim and Mike will be cool because they currently live in San Pedro Sula, Honduras and they are looking for one or two long-term missionaries to join their team. They are particularly looking for people with a finance/business background. Their vision is to build a children’s home in a village called Chasnigua - just outside San Pedro Sula. And they are interested in talking to me about the vision that God has given them for the children of Honduras and to see if I might consider visiting Honduras in addition to Bolivia this summer during my placement trip.

Until recently, Bolivia has been my main focus but this potential opportunity in Honduras is one that I am definitely going to explore. Please just pray for me as I continue to ask God to lead me where He needs me the most.

I will post a conference recap when I get back. Happy Easter!

No comments: