Sunday, March 18, 2007

Oh, What a Beautiful Mornin'

So today marks my annual trip up to the Marcus Jewish Community Center of Atlanta to run spotlight for the Habima Theater. The Habima Theater is made up of individuals from the MJCCA Blonder Family Department for Developmental Disabilities. Every year they stage a show and for the last five years I have had the great honor of running spotlight for them.

It is an annual reminder that if you have a dream…you should follow it. I am realizing as I type this post during rehearsal that these amazing people with disabilities that I have watched put on these shows for the last five years have had a greater impact on me personally than I have ever realized. I just don’t think they understand the word Can’t.

Amy, my friend from work, is the stage manager and she recruited me to help five years ago. I had no idea what it was that I was actually going to help with and when I first started helping it was really just about getting a little extra cash in my pocket.

But after watching the process for five years now it is so not about money anymore. In fact, I think I would still help even if I didn’t get my $150.

This year’s production is Oklahoma and this show holds a special place in my heart. Oklahoma was the first musical that I ever saw and it was a production by the drama department of Mississippi College in Clinton where I grew up. I definitely think God has a sense of humor sometimes. Given the fact that the first musical I ever saw is going to be one of the last that I work on before I move on to the next chapter of my life.

I am just so in awe of the actors on this stage. They are truly an inspiration. They love what they do, they are happy to be here and they can’t wait for that curtain to open. I want that kind of attitude.
I want their smile.

Well, the show is starting now so I better go…

House lights out…go
(Overture starts)
Light cue 1…go
Spotlight on Curly…go

Curly:
OH, WHAT A BEAUTIFUL MORNIN’,
OH, WHAT A BEAUTIFUL DAY.
I GOT A BEAUTIFUL FEELIN’,
EV’RYTHIN’S GOIN’ MY WAY.

No comments: