Thursday, March 08, 2007

It’s all about the benjamins baby…

So a few weeks back I started meeting with a new community group from church. Basically, this is just a group of single guys that I meet with for two hours on a weekly basis. And when we are not talking about girls we use the last fifteen minutes to talk about what God is doing in our lives and how He has impacted our lives. Just kidding. We talk about God way more than that.

Anywho…we had an interesting discussion tonight about money. We were confirming that sometimes life is just simpler when you don’t have a ton of dough. How having a good amount of money just opens you up to more temptations, simply because you can AFFORD those temptations.

I have been blessed to work in the non-profit industry for my entire career and have never really had the luxury of direct depositing the amounts of cash that some of my friends have had. In some respects I feel lucky. Sure I have bought my fair share of stuff and I have always wanted more money to eliminate my debt, I just haven’t had that Richy Rich vault to deal with.

But a thought came to me tonight as we sat around discussing how to not make money an idol…can money become an idol when your life totally depends on receiving donations from people?

I have never really had that much positive financial margin in my life so I just learned to be content with what I had. But can I be content when the funds I need to raise for this whole missionary thing don’t come in on my timeline?

It’s just an interesting thought. I know the abundance of money can make it an idol but can the lack of money make me place those benjamins on that same pedestal?

Things that make you go hmmmm...

No comments: