Sunday, December 17, 2006

Home Alone

So this afternoon I was flippin the TV back and forth between The Lord of the Rings marathon on TNT and Home Alone on TBS. What a coincidence that Home Alone is on today because it’s something that I have been thinking about lately.

Quick side note before we begin - I have NEVER lived alone in my entire life.

My roommate is currently courting a young lass and the result for me has been more and more time to myself. I know. Boo freakin Hoo. Don’t get me wrong, I am all for it and I am so happy for him/them. But the periodic evenings alone & phone calls in the other room have given me time to think about the whole “never lived by myself” thing.

Recently I think I have started to get a small taste of what Kevin (Played by the incomparable Macaulay Culkin) felt like during those few days of aloneness.

Growing up, all the way through college, and through the present day (almost seven years after college) I have always had a roommate. I can’t decide if that is weird or normal. I haven’t taken a poll or anything. Sure there have been stretches of time alone for various reasons (trips, house-sitting, etc.) but not long stretches of time with no end in sight.

My conclusion?

I am actually glad that I am having some nights alone right now because I came to the realization a few weeks back that there is a strong chance (pending the upcoming conference, God working behind the scenes, etc.) that I might move to South America and live by myself. For the first time EVER.

Why such a big jump at one time I ask myself? Why can’t I like move to Smyrna and live by myself there first to warm up. Why have my first experience of living alone be in another country and culture where I might know five people total. I mean, talk about OTP.

I can’t decide whether this scares me or excites me even more about the prospect of moving. But it is certainly interesting to think about. I am just going to chalk it up to God preparing me for whatever situation He is sending me into.

T-minus three weeks until that conference mentioned above by the way…

No comments: