Sunday, August 09, 2009

Books

Paola and I are kinda on a book reading frenzy right now.
We have a thirst to read. Yeah, we are reading about the baby but we are also just reading more. I have finished two books recently and I am working on # 3.

First, I read one called "The Ten Commandments of Marriage" by Ed Young. Great book. My sister gave this book to Paola in Spanish and then I found an English version and we both read it together. Great Godly insight for us newlyweds.

I just finished reading "Wild at Heart" by John Eldredge.
A pretty famous book among guys. I read it once back in the states but reading it again as a married missionary expecting a child here in La Paz, Bolivia was a completely different story.

Now I have in my hand "Through Gates of Splendor" by Elisabeth Elliot.
This is a true story of five missionaries who lost their lives in 1956 trying to take the Gospel to the Auca indians in Ecuador. The quote on the title page by Jim Elliot, one of the missionaries who lost his life, said it all for me as I opened this book...

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."

Amen.

1 comment:

Becky Sue said...

If you can, there is a DVD "Beyond the Gates of Splendor" (I think) that has interviews of all the widows and some of the children. Also "The End of the Spear" is the story of the 5 missionaries told by the pilot's son, with some of the actual folks involved in the story at the end. I love everything Elisabeth writes, btw! I know you will be especially pulled to their story.