Monday, January 07, 2008

The Kids Who Don’t Exist

So I was talking to a girl this past weekend (let’s call her Susan) and she asked me what year I was born in. Fine. No problem. “1977” I replied confidently. Then I asked her what year she was born in and she told me that she is not exactly sure. What?!? Not exactly sure. She considers herself eighteen years old but she is not totally sure.

Sadly this is the state with many kids here in Bolivia. Orphans who have gone from place to place for all of their life. They don’t have any official documents. They don’t have a birth certificate like we do.

Basically, as far as the government is concerned they don’t even exist.

Wow. I was just completely taken back by this. But then I realized that she DOES exist. And she exists because there have been people who have loved her and cared for her enough to acknowledge her existence. Is having a piece of paper the measure of our existence or is the fact that we are loved the measure of our existence?

That’s what I want to do. Love and care for kids so much they that have absolutely no doubt that they exist and that they matter to God.

No comments: